Schedule: Every 4th Friday at 6:30 pm
Place: Radisson Inn, Olympus room, Madison, Alabama
Featured Lecturer for March 25, 2011
The Paranormal Study Center
Gary is a practicing lay Zen Buddhist who has been practicing Zen meditation (Zazen) since 1988. Over the years he has attended numerous periodic intensive meditation retreats, both locally and throughout the U.S.
Gary has lived in Huntsville since 1990. He is married, and is the father of two grown sons. He spent many years in the Boy Scouts of America, both as a youth and as an adult leader, where he cultivated his love of camping and backpacking. He completed a solo ‘thru-hike’ of the 480-mile Colorado Trail from Denver to Durango in 2008. He works in Huntsville as an embedded software engineer for a local government contractor.
Gary will be speaking from his own experience practicing Zen meditation. He will address:
* A brief overview of the development of Zen Buddhism, from the life of the historical Buddha through the migration of Buddhism to China, then Korea, Japan and the West.
* Highlights of what one may discover about the medical or mental benefits of meditation.
* How his Zen meditation helps him cultivate mindfulness, tolerance, compassion, and balance in his own life.
* Common misconceptions from his own experience.
* An interactive introduction to the practice of Zen meditation (Zazen), with the opportunity for full audience participation in the practice of mindfulness.
You can learn more about Zen through the contacts below: